Remember Our Giant Furniture Haul wayyyy back in January? We’re on the very last pieces of furniture… the dressers and nightstand. You also get a little sneak peak of the nursery 🙂
This post contains affiliate links. For more information please see my disclosures here.
You can check out the rest of the furniture from Our Giant Furniture Haul here:
We decided to keep the dressers and nightstand for one of the guest rooms. Obviously, we couldn’t leave them as they were – grungy, yellow and broken. Our process in updating the dressers and nightstand is exactly the same as the desk and chair. We started by cleaning and sanding all the furniture.
Next, we primed each piece with Rust-Oleum Corporation Water Base Primer in white. I used the same box of paint samples I mentioned in the desk and chair post (free paint = yay!). I wanted the insides of the drawers to stand out a little and chose a medium gray tone, while the outside of the drawers, the dresser and nightstand were all painted white. I painted two coats of each, letting them dry 30-60 minutes in-between coats.
Let the paint dry overnight before adding a protective finish. I use Minwax Satin Polycrylic Protective Finishes. Painting a protective finish adds a little sheen to the furniture as well as a protective layer (if that wasn’t already obvious).
The last step was to fix up the hardware. The drawer’s handles were beautiful on this furniture but really, really discolored and gross looking. I soaked them in my crockpot with dish soap for a few hours and when they were cool, scrubbed them with an old toothbrush. Once they were dry I spray painted them with Rust-Oleum Bright Coat Metallic Color Spray in chrome.
You’ll notice the original picture has a drawer handle on every plank of wood across the front of the dresser. This is very deceiving because there are not four drawers, there are only two with four handles on each. Shane filled in the bottom holes of each drawer and we only added the handles back to the top of the drawer. I think it gives it a cleaner finish.
When we found out we were having a baby we decided to transform the bigger dresser into a changing table. Shane added some extra height to it using extra wood from our garage. We’re both tall and these dressers are too low for us to bend down every time the baby needs changing.
There isn’t much room for the nightstand in the room so it currently sits in the closet and acts as a bookshelf.
Here is the final result (and a sneak peak of the nursery!):